Friday, January 22, 2010

Working with the title company when your sell or buy your home.


Working with the title company can be a really good experience or a really bad one.  I have been waiting for commission checks on homes we sold and I called the title company.   The one property they couriered the check yesterday - I was here all day yesterday and no check - I found out that they left it outside my old office - didn't bother to call and say "No one is there, should we leave it?"  The second property they closed on and did not issue us a check at all ..... and they will look into the third one.  Time to change title companies?

I also have another title company that is the worst when it comes to sending me the HUDS (the final closing statement) - I need these HUDS to mark the property as sold on the MLS.  The local MLS gives you 5 days to change status before they can start assessing fines.  I am just keeping my fingers crossed that they don't track me down because I have several properties from this one title company that is 2 months late!

I am happy to say that most of the transactions are smooth ones - but when they mess up it is sometimes a doozy - I have had clients walk out at closing because of the shoddy work of a title company.

No comments: