Here are some little things sellers sometimes overlook when preparing their home for sale:
- Replace burned out bulbs to avoid a "Light is inoperable" report that may suggest an electrical problem.- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and replace dead batteries.
- Clean or replace dirty HVAC air filters. They should fit securely.- Remove stored items, debris and wood from foundation. These may be cited as "conducive conditions" for carpenter ants.
- Remove items blocking access to HVAC equipment, electric service panels, water heaters, attics and crawl spaces.- Trim tree limbs to 10' from the roof and shrubs from the house to allow access.
- Attend to broken or missing items like doorknobs, locks and latches; windowpanes, screens and locks; gutters, downspouts and chimney caps.
- look for dust bunnies or cobwebs in places that are higher and lower than your normal range of vision